Mehta' Grand Plan: Turn Dharavi into an upper middle-class suburb by 2010
- Divide Dharavi into 12 sectors. Each will cost Rs 450 crore to develop.
- Current slum-dwellers will get free housing
- Health: Drinking water, drainage systems, hospitals, gymnasiums
- Income: Infrastructure for industries and transportation of produce
- Knowledge: Schools, colleges, vocational colleges, ceramic, leather and fashion design and training centre
- Environment: 15 per cent open spaces, water and solid waste management systems
- Socio-cultural spaces: Parks, sports complexes, entertainment areas, community halls
- Dharavi residents don’t need any outside dole. With the right support, the community can rehabilitate itself. Builders like Mehta just want to make money.
- In reality, residents will be ousted and resettled on land no one wants...