HUJI was set up in 1992 by men who fought the Soviets in Afghanistan
- Feb 19, 1996: 41 HUJI activists arrested for carrying arms
- Jan 18, 1998: Tried to kill Bangladesh poet Shamsur Rahman
- July 2000: Assassination bid on former PM Sheikh Hasina
- May 2005: US names HUJI a terrorist outfit
- Oct 2005: Bangladesh bans HUJI
***The Harkat-ul-Jehad-al-Islami, or HUJI, made a dramatic appearance on Bangladesh's political firmament fifteen years ago, on April 30, 1992—through a press conference to declare its jehadi agenda. Sitting shoulder to shoulder at Dhaka's Jatiya Press Club, wearing sleeveless olive jackets over their shalwar-kameez, the HUJI men claimed to have participated in the jehad against the Soviet army in Afghanistan. They preened about their exploits there, read out the names of Bangladeshis who had achieved 'martyrdom' in Afghanistan, and declared...