Wading Through The Mudslide
A slew of corruption cases had been filed against Asif Ali Zardari, or Mr 10 per cent, but these were quashed by the National Reconciliation Order promulgated by the Musharraf regime. A look at some of the charges against him:
- Benami accounts: Accused of holding Swiss bank accounts containing $1.5 billion amassed from money laundering. Of this, $13.7 million was frozen by the Swiss authorities in 1997.
- The assets case: Properties of 155 people in Pakistan were frozen on the ground that these actually belonged to Zardari.
- The Polish tractors case: He is supposed to have accepted $2 million in kickbacks from the Polish firm Ursus for supplying low-cost tractors to Pakistan in 1997.
- The polo ground case: Illegally used the Capital Development Authority to build a polo ground in the prime minister’s house, where horses were fed apple murabba.
- The ARY gold case: Zardari is...