- Uruguay score three in the second half of the final to win 4-2, a loss not taken too well in Argentina where fans in Buenos Aires attack the Uruguayan Embassy
- The only edition where the defending champions refuse to participate as several European nations had declined to come over when they hosted it in 1930
- In the last World Cup before the war, Italy becomes the first nation to successfully defend the Jules Rimet trophy, the other being Brazil
- The final, dubbed the Maracanazo (“The Maracanã Blow”), sees Uruguay defeat Brazil at home with Alcides Ghiggia’s goal exposing the Maracana to stunned silence
- One of the greatest sides never to win the cup, Hungary are denied the...