Region-wise seats break-up
- Agrarian crisis, lack of roads, irrigation, load-shedding and some key rural issues.
- Farmers’ suicides from increasing debts.
- The fall in foodgrains production. Oilseeds and other commercial crop output has also dipped sharply.
- Clear division of issues in urban, rural Maharashtra. Urban areas now comprise about 40 per cent of population.
- The state has the highest number of urban poor in the country, at 1.46 crore.
- Security, employment, housing, transport are some key urban issues. Frequent violent clashes on political and communal lines is a major urban issue.
THIS ARTICLE IS PRICELESS...
To read this piece, and more such stories in India's most exciting and exacting magazine, plus get access to our 25-year archives goldmine, please subscribe.