J.J. Valaya’s Tips For A Dapper Pugree
- Experiment with colours and let them express your personality
- Try prints, but not so bold that they clash with your outfit
- Always tie a turban, say no to the ready-made mare’s nests
- The proportions of the pugree should suit your face—too large or small looks clumsy
- Wear your pride on your turban. It shows in your demeanour
Striped turbans pinned with feathers and brooches, lavishly embroidered sherwanis and gloved hands commanding majestic swords—the portraits of the modish rulers of Kapurthala are invariably a sartorial treat. Before Independence, the royal families of Patiala and Kapurthala were forerunners in fashion and luxury, and among the early patrons of labels like Louis Vuitton and Cartier. Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala, an avid traveller and Francophile, sported Louis XV-style wigs, dazzled in Cartier jewellery and...