Why Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri seem so constrained in telling the complete truth when the boys in blue are on the ground
- Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar and his protege Ravi Shastri are contracted with the BCCI. Their annual contract, renewable each year, is said to be in the region of of Rs 3.6 crore each per annum.
- The contract allows the board to provide their services to BCCI event broadcasters like Neo, Set Max, ESPN Star. Their merit is undoubted, but no broadcaster can turn down their services nor deny them their daily fee.
- On short-term contracts for events owned by other boards (like the England series, whose rights are with Sky), they are paid by the day by the broadcaster in India, like ESPN Star in the present instance.
- The Mumbai duo was contracted with the World Sports Group until last year. But WSG's proximity to the disgraced IPL chief Lalit Modi resulted in BCCI entering into a direct contract with them.
- The contract leads to a conflict of...