- Digvijay Singh: Controls all party outfits. Has popular base in the Guna-Rajgarh region.
- Kantilal Bhuria: Tribal leader who is influential in the districts of western Madhya Pradesh
- Jyotiraditya Scindia: Has a clean image. Can wrest seats in the Gwalior-Chambal region.
- Ajay Singh: Arjun Singh’s son and Digvijay’s son-in-law. Has influence in the Vindhya region.
- Kamal Nath: Influence limited to Chhindwara and adjoining districts
Political parties are apt to replace MPs and MLAs by fielding their relatives. It usually works: the influence of the former incumbent makes it easy for the new entrant. But the formula has boomeranged on the Congress in Madhya Pradesh. And badly too. The party has lost four byelections in a row in the last two years. All four were Congress bastions and one...