- 130 Indians attacked countrywide, the Indian high commission says. Of these, 30 were students.
- 1,447 incidents of crime against Indians in 2007-08 have been reported in Victoria alone. The state is crime-prone, and has a force of 13,000, including volunteers, to police a population of four million.
- 33 Indians died in violent attacks between 2004 and 2009, says Federation of Indian Students of Australia spokesperson Gautam Gupta. Of these, six died in 2009. Nitin Garg was stabbed to death in 2010.
- On Jan 5, the Indian government issued an advisory to Indian students in Australia
asking them to take certain precautionary measures while travelling.
- 33.2% visa applications turned down by Australia between July 1 and October 31, 2009, up from 6.5 per cent for the corresponding period in 2008. These applications were mostly turned down because of documentation fraud.