India’s Tasks In Nepal
- Take steps to bring violence and instability in Nepal to an end
- Engage with new dispensation in Nepal, ensure good ties with them
- Assure people in Madhes that their legitimate demands will be addressed
- Convince Kathmandu to bring amendments to make its constitution more inclusive
- Work with China to ensure rivalry between two doesn’t spark Nepal crisis
As for much of Nepal, September 20 should have been a day of celebration for India as well. As Nepal’s big neighbour, India had played the chief facilitator and guarantor’s role in the peace process from 2006 to ultimately help bring Maoist insurgents and major political players together to write a new constitution. Yet, on Sunday, when it was finally adopted by an overwhelming majority in Nepal’s constituent assembly, after years of waiting, it hardly brought forth any cheer from...