Here's why actor Vijaykanth is a growing political force in Tamil Nadu:
- His DMDK, is seen as a threat by both the DMK and the AIADMK
- It polled 8.3% in the 2006 assembly polls. This is expected to go up.
- Vijaykanth, projected as the dark MGR, is getting popular with the youth
- Political parties have begun to take him seriously, respond to his criticism
- He has met national politicians and says he is willing to strike alliances
They call him Captain after a character he played in one of his films. He is also the "Karuppu MGR", not only because he is dark-complexioned but his supporters feel he embodies all that the late actor-turned-politician stood for. There is yet another moniker for him—Puratchi Kalaignar or revolutionary artist. It's a clever mix of Puratchi Thalaivi (revolutionary leader) and Kalaignar—the titles bestowed upon AIADMK chief J. Jayalalitha and DMK's M. Karunanidhi by their...