- VC G.C. Tripathi was sent on leave
- Royana Singh replaces chief proctor O.N. Singh, becoming first woman to hold that post
- Twenty-eight female security guards to be on the university campus; seven appointed so far, with male guards on stand-by
- First all-woman “squad” for campus monitoring set up
- A judicial probe will be done into arson during the protest
- The university’s annual security budget is Rs 14 crore. It has 83 hostels, 22 for women.
Any talk of the State’s benign paternalism vis-à-vis India’s daughters comes up, first of all, against raw reality. A most revealing snapshot of this came recently from the Banaras Hindu University (BHU). Even as the country was moving into annual Durga Puja festivities, to mark a divinised form of woman power, angry girl students hogged television screenspace for days on end with a most...