Challenges Before The Modi Sarkar
Things that will need immediate attention to pull India out of the rut
- Kickstart manufacturing growth and help create jobs by thousands
- Contain food inflation. A weak monsoon may jeopardise plans beyond managing cereal prices.
- Balance concerns on inflation with push for growth, investment by lowering interest rates
- Reduce subsidy burden and fiscal deficit through better delivery mechanism
- Union budget, expected in July, will have to send the right signals to investors, sans the populism
- Raise funds for putting railway and other infrastructure projects on track
- Improve relations with states for ushering in tax and other reforms
- Provide closer scrutiny to environmental clearances to stalled projects
- Speed up defence procurement and simplify procedures while plugging graft
- Improve governance through greater accountability
- Improve HDI with better healthcare and...