In The Buddh Circuit
India is now competing with China for influence in the Buddhist world
- Wooed the Buddhist world by hosting a lavish World Buddhist Forum in ’06, attracting over 1,000 monks and experts from 37 countries and regions
- Held an even larger gathering in 2009; plays the Tibet card at such gatherings by parading the Chinese-chosen Panchen Lama, underscoring the exclusion of the Dalai Lama
- Extending largesse to Buddhist projects. China-linked organisation actively pushing $3 billion plan in Nepal to turn Buddha’s birthplace Lumbini into a pilgrimage hub.
- Returned to Buddhist conference diplomacy after over 50 years by hosting the Global Buddhist Congregation 2011, 900 delegates from over 46 countries attend
- Using exercise to build stronger bridges with East Asian, Southeast Asian Buddhist countries in China’s neighbourhood, who are already worried about an assertive...