Here's why a fake encounter by the Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad has shocked the nation:
- Three senior police officers were involved in the killing of Sohrabuddin Sheikh.
- The victim was passed off as an LeT operative who was plotting to kill senior Gujarat politicians, including chief minister Narendra Modi.
- The case came out into the open only after the Supreme Court ordered an investigation.
- A witness to Sheikh's killing has also been bumped off in an encounter.
- There is a question mark over five other encounters to which one of the three officers is linked.
***Gujarat's official response to allegations of innocents being branded as Islamic terrorists and bumped off in fake encounters has always been dismissive. But that lie was nailed last week with the arrest of three top police officers—two from Gujarat and one from Rajasthan—for the killing of Sohrabuddin Sheikh on the outskirts...