When “Too Much Democracy” Works
- Pressure in Parliament pushes PM Manmohan Singh to secure the resignation of telecom minister A. Raja in the 2G affair
- The angst and trials of tribals in the Maoist bastion of Dantewada is sensed in Delhi after the media highlights their plight
- People power at the sites of the Koodankulam and Jaitapur nuclear plants attracts global attention post-Fukushima
Because All Else Has Failed
- Pressure from civil society forces government to review Lokpal bill after four decades. Landmark RTI legislation born out of protests.
- Attempts at acquisition of farmland by the Left Front in West Bengal thwarted after protests by people and the Opposition
- The Jessica Lall murder case, all but forgotten, reopened after people organised candle-light vigils and other protests to seek justice
Mahathir bin Mohammed, former...