Why We Should Worry
- If communal clashes continue in Myanmar, they could lead to exodus of Rohingya refugees to India
- It could also lead to retaliatory attacks against Buddhists and their assets in India
- Such attacks could rally hardline Hindu forces to try and put further pressure on Indian Muslims
- Attacks on Buddhist shrines in India could dissuade foreign visitors
- Copycat attacks in neighbouring countries could lead to general instability, leading to a highly avoidable spiral of violence.
It’s Bodh Gaya’s calm that gave Buddha’s enlightenment its immediate, conducive context. It’s where millions of his followers from across the world flock to every year. That calm was shattered, its temple scarred, when 10 low-intensity blasts hit the complex this week, injuring at least two monks. Three other devices were mercifully defused. Few would have thought that this house of peace could also be bloodied with...