The Money Trail
- The total contract for supplying 12 helicopters: Rs 3,600 crore
- Estimated business development cost (or bribe): Rs 385 crore (about 51 million euros)
- Christian Michel and Haschke paid: Rs 226 crore (30 million Euros)
- Money parked in Tunisia by Michel and Haschke: Rs 181 crore (about 24 million Euros)
- Evidence collected by the CBI of remittances to India: Rs 43 crore (about 5.8 million euros, through firms in Mohali and Chandigarh)
It was in a room in a secluded wing on the first floor of the Claridges Hotel in Delhi that Christian Michel James usually stayed. He patronised the hotel not because it belonged to a fellow arms dealer but because, as he claimed, the rooms in that section of the first floor weren’t bugged. That was sometime in 1999, when the Briton was a frequent visitor to New Delhi’s corridors of power, cultivating politicians, bureaucrats and the media. The tall, suave and...