The Big Q: Does Hindutva Deliver?
- Confusion over whether Hindutva agenda (Ram temple, Article 370, Uniform Civil Code) has any carry
- After 1999 win, BJP seat share on constant downswing: from 182 in 1999 to 138 in 2004, to 116 seats in 2009
- Voteshare has dipped, from 22.16% in 2004 LS election to 18.8% in 2009, in every state, except HP, Karnataka
- BJP’s seat tally in Hindi heartland state Madhya Pradesh has fallen from 220 seats in 1990 to 143 in 2008
- It has fared miserably in Uttar Pradesh post-Babri: falling from 221 seats in 1991 to just 47 in 2012
- After Kandhamal riots, BJP won just six seats in 2009 Orissa poll, 26 fewer than what it had before riots
- Four south Indian states with 140 seats amongst them looking out of bounds. Karnataka debacle looms.
- Modi’s draw under question: in 2009, BJP won 37 seats in 300-plus rallies he addressed; Rahul Gandhi 75 of 102
- BJP’s aggressive Hindutva stand isolates nearly 15% of...