- Alena Adamkova, a Slovak national, is the executive director and curator of the Roerich trust
- She has been accused of financial mismanagement by S.S. Chandel, a lifetime trustee
- He has even questioned the rationale of Russia’s Order of Friendship being conferred on her
- The Russian ambassador is upset, says the allegations are an insult to the Russian state
- Alena’s supporters say Chandel’s charges are motivated
It’s spring in Kullu, and the camellia bushes are thick with dark pink blooms in Nicholas Roerich’s beloved garden in the village of Naggar, Himachal Pradesh. A group of painters has set up easels here, and the spectacular snow-capped mountains in the distance are taking shape on them. Children are coming up the mountain path to the Roerich home, tourists are clicking pictures. Amidst all this, the great Russian painter’s ashes lie buried under a...