During his tenure in the Northern Command Lt Gen H.S. Panag ordered 120 Courts of Inquiry. Some key cases:
- Tent scam: Inquiry and action into the "emergency" purchase of tents
- Egg scam: Showcause notices issued to officers and men, including a Maj Gen
- Diversion of high-altitude rations: An inquiry has been ordered.
- Frozen meat scam: Issued a letter of displeasure to Lt Gen S.K. Dahiya
- Pressed for a crackdown on corruption at the Army Commanders Conference
***The February 25 directive by the ministry of defence that Northern Command chief, Lt General H.S. Panag, was being transferred out to non-operational Lucknow-based Central Command was seemingly a bald statement. It was supposed to be a "routine transfer", though concerning the army's crucial Northern Command.
But sources in army headquarters told Outlook there was nothing routine about...