A Timeline Of Other Student Protests In India
- Pre-1947: In 1905, a protest against racial discrimination was held at King Edward College, Lahore. In 1936, efforts to start an all-India students’ organisation were made with the aim of opposing British rule.
- 1960s: Records say 2,200 student protests were held.
- 1970s: Tumultuous times. The JP movement, a parallel movement in Gujarat. The Naxal movement in Bengal and the police crackdown. In Tamil Nadu, anti-Hindi protests.
- 1991: The summer of June 1991 saw students protesting against the Mandal Commission recommendations, reserving 22.5 per cent jobs in government services. The recommendations didn’t directly affect students, but protests showed how government jobs were coveted.
- 2006: When the government decided to reserve 22.5 per cent seats in higher centres of learning, organisations like the Youth For Equality opposed the move across the...