5 Must-Watch Marathi Movies
- Kunku (1937) V. Shantaram
- Shyamchi Aai (1953) P.K. Atre
- Jagachya Pathivar (1960) Raja Paranjape
- Umbartha (1982) Jabbar Patel
- Natrang (2010) Ravi Jadhav
Till Paresh Mokashi made Harischandrachi Factory (2009), all we knew about Dadasaheb Phalke was that he directed India’s first feature film, Raja Harischandra (1913), and that there’s a film award named after him. Mokashi’s vision transformed Phalke’s pioneering effort into the adventures of a Chaplinesque hero obsessed with moving pictures and prepared to stake everything to fulfil his impossible dream. Interestingly, Harischandrachi Factory was bankrolled by none other than UTV, a sure sign of the dramatic turnaround in Marathi cinema after the remarkable success of a small film by...