- Poverty declined to 21.2% in 2011 from 31.1% in 2009
- Annual Global Nutrition Report 2017 says 38% of children under age 5 are affected by stunting.
- 21% of children under 5 are underweight.
- 51% of women suffer from anaemia
- Anaemia among children has remained persistently high at 58.4% between 6 and 59 months
On November 4, the Global Nutrition Report 2017 was released, and the ongoing tragedy of India’s underfed children was laid bare by up-to-date statistics: 38 per cent of children under 5 in the country are stunted and 21 per cent are affected by wasting (low weight for their height) or severe wasting. Many of these children are born with health issues, as 51 per cent of women of reproductive age in India suffer from anaemia. Similarly, anaemia among children has remained persistently high at 58.4 per...