Getting His Own Way?
- Diplomatic passports are issued under the Vienna convention
- They provide diplomatic immunity and other advantages to the holder
- Many countries do not charge visa fees from diplomatic passport-holders
- Such passports also ensure priority in customs and immigration checks
- The officer who helped Chaturvedi get this passport was posted abroad against strict operational guidelines
- He was posted in the host country covertly and has now been sent there as a declared RAW official
- This is cause for embarrassment
For years, RAW chiefs, used to a life of anonymity, would quietly fade into retirement after a whole career spent snooping in foreign lands. Some ended up as governors; others took to the seminar circuit and kept themselves busy writing papers or catching up on hobbies. But that wasn’t the course charted by Ashok Chaturvedi,...