- Ad claims refurbished pond in Hiranpur block has promoted communal amity through ‘social and religious events’. Locals say no such events have held.
- Locals dissatisfied with the siphon irrigation system praised in the ad have damaged it repeatedly
- In fact, local administration is worried about a law and order situation if it files an FIR against those who caused the damage
- Locals also dismiss claims of prosperity from the pond, saying they’re forced to work in WB
- Photo used in the ad is also not from any Santhal region but from somewhere in north India because Santhal women do not dress the way as those in the photo.
“Baang,” she replies when asked if she drinks water from the handpump she’s standing next to. That’s ‘no’ in Lukhi Murmu’s native Santhali language. There is filthy water around the pump. A pig grunts nearby, stubborn enough...