How Gadkari Has Injured His Own Cause
- Wrong choice of candidates for Rajya Sabha nominations. NRI businessman Anshuman Mishra, close to Gadkari, made allegations of corruption against BJP leaders.
- Over-dependence on surveys (carried out by Gadkari confidant Arun Narendranath) for ticket distribution in UP polls, resulting in party’s poor performance.
- Near-autocratic style of functioning. Takes decisions without consulting senior leaders. Has no open meetings or discussions over issues. Even core committee meetings are no more sacrosanct.
- Inability to control corruption-tainted, ousted CM Yediyurappa’s antics in Karnataka
- Failure to bring Narendra Modi out of his perennial sulk.
If this was last month, a little before the Rajya Sabha nominations had taken place, few in the BJP would have doubted party president Nitin Gadkari’s lucky run and future in the saffron brigade. The RSS was...