- Debate on whether to brazen it out or to let go and call for an early election
- Decision will depend on extent of Supreme Court’s critique this week
- With BJP refusing to return to Parliament, no legislation likely this session
- No investment, foreign or Indian, likely in the circumstance
- Bureaucracy uncooperative, likely to leak more scandals
- If it can’t be passed as law, govt contemplating food security as ordinance
- Land acquisition and other bills will have to be abandoned.
- Yet, section in Congress believes in carrying on till at least the monsoon session.
There is that moment in the story of a sinking ship, when its biggest crash comes after it hits the iceberg, after which it is only a matter of conjecture how long the vessel will stay afloat. The cracks had already appeared in the Manmohan Singh boat as scam after scam erupted in his second term. The most serious...