Points To Note
- 23 central universities have accepted reservations for SC/STs in their higher faculty
- 14 more are in the process of implementing quotas
- As party to a PIL in the apex court, jnu submitted that it was obligatory on its part to implement guidelines of the government’s reservation policy
- JNU implemented reservations in its faculty at the entry level in 1993
- Delhi University’s non-development grant was cut by 10 per cent for non-compliance
- Reservations are legally binding on aided universities and colleges
It wasn’t just liberals who were shocked at the fact that 30 professors of the Jawaharlal Nehru University put on paper their dissension on implementing caste quota in faculty appointments. The government too has now sought a clarification on the institution’s stand on the issue. Confirming this, vice-chancellor Prof B.B....