- Joint committee should be set up, comprising faculty and students, to examine the social atmosphere
- Both policy and mechanisms must be developed to foster social harmony
- A special office called ‘equal opportunity office’ should be set up to implement remedial coaching programs for SC/ST students.
- Social justice ministry must closely monitor reservation implementation
- SC/ST students should get adequate representation in various college committees and cultural programmes
There are no happy endings in this tale, only tragedy. A series of heartrending stories have shone the spotlight on the plight of Dalit students in some of India’s premium educational institutions. According to a recent report prepared by Insight Foundation, around 18 students belonging to the scheduled caste scheduled tribe (SC/ST) and other backward classes (OBCs) have committed suicide in...