A Bamboo’s Sharp End
Is Mamata out to get Media?
- In 2012, Mamata bans papers critical of her from public libraries, including Anandabazar Patrika and Bartaman
- TMC leaders publicly denounce ABP Ananda’s programme Proti-Pokkho as a pack of lies. At election rally in Jangalmahal Mamata asks people not to tune into ABP Ananda.
- Photographer of news channel thrashed allegedly by TMC goons
- Professor who circulated e-mail caricature of Mamata, Mukul Roy beaten up by TMC goons and jailed. Mamata cartoons go off news pages.
- Journalists in the Bengal secretariat told by security to restrict themselves to the press corner or face arrest
In May 2012, in response to a letter of request to Mamata Banerjee for an interview for Outlook on the completion of a year in office as chief minister of West Bengal, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from her finance...