A Cat With Nine Lives
At 25, she was the youngest MLA and minister in Haryana. She has since been chief minister and a Union minister twice, but Sushma Swaraj, 63, has never completed a full stint of five years.
AFP (From Outlook 03 August 2015)
- Brought in as chief minister of Delhi after Madan Lal Khurana and Sahib Singh Verma failed to deliver, her three-month stint from October 1998 was not sufficient for the party to retain Delhi. It’s yet to win Delhi since 1999.
- Depended on the infamous Reddy brothers in her campaign against Sonia Gandhi in Bellary in 1999. Claims she opposed their inclusion in the Yediyurappa cabinet, admits she was asked to tell them not to bring down his government.
- After UPA victory in 2004, vowed to tonsure her head, drape herself in a white sari, sleep on the floor and eat only roasted gram if the Congress chose a ‘foreigner’ as PM. Sonia was elected, but declined to be PM.
- In 2011, video clips of her dancing at Rajghat went viral and deemed to be inappropriate. Sushma said she had been dancing to patriotic songs and was trying to boost the morale of BJP workers protesting against UPA.
- Her father Hardev Sharma was a member of the RSS in Ambala, but she put off a section of the Sangh parivar by declaring that...