- Sholay was made at a cost of Rs 2 crore and sold for Rs 20 lakh per territory, almost double the then going rate.
- Two weeks before shooting began, Danny backed out of playing Gabbar Singh and Amjad Khan stepped in (salary Rs 500 a week). Both Sanjeev Kumar and AB had been eyeing the role. The original had the Thakur killing Gabbar, but Emergency ‘censorship’ forced a tamer ending.
- Trade Guide rubbished it as "Choley". Another critic dissed it as "full of sound and fury signifying nothing".
- The entire village of Ramgarh was created near Bangalore—it later became a tourist attraction called Sippynagar.
- Salim-Javed had originally approached Manmohan Desai to direct it with Baldev Pushkarna as the producer.
There’s little left to say about Sholay. Easily the most watched Hindi film of all time, Sholay’s also been written about and dissected the most. Academicians have called it a combination of Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven and Mera Gaon Mera Desh. But...